Friday, October 26, 2007

The rains are 'ere

Since about two weeks ago it has been raining every day. Not always a huge amount of rain, but enough to signal the beginning of the monsoon. But three days ago, on my way home from dinner it started to rain hard. It bucketed down. By the time I made it home there was a stream flowing through the driveway.

When I woke up the next morning it was still raining. The stream in my driveway had turned into a gushing river and I got soaked through when I dared to leave the cover of the porch to get into the car. It was only one step away!

This is what it looked like in the car on the way to work. I felt very sorry for the motorbike riders.














One of the major obstacles of driving through this rain was that the water on the road concealed the huge potholes we usually go to great lengths to avoid.














And just when I thought I'd seen a lot of water, we got to the guesthouse to pick up the new intern. This house is right next door to the giant house I was living in before.














The awful thing was that it kept raining that hard for another 8 hours, so imagine how much worse the flooding got. Apparently this amount of rain is not usual, but not entirely uncommon.

**********************************
Did you know that having a good vocabulary can help you save the world from hunger?

Have a look at the Free Rice website. I got to 500 grains of rice before I felt guilty for wasting time.

**********************************

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just as I read your post it started plummeting down here. Weird.

Anonymous said...

I thought that I had had a dream about an Australian and downpours. But really, it's just a feeling of deja vu because I watched the (new?) show Man v. Wild hosted by an Aussie guy named BEAR! BEAR!!! He ate a live spider with mild poisonous capabilities! And fashioned a lofted bed (to avoid the from the rain formed streams, duh!)! And got all giddy and smiley over berries with bitter seeds! It was like love at first sight.

elbento.com said...

Hey I tried that Free Rice thing a few days ago - I probably only made it to a hundred grains before I calculated roughly how many grains would be required to provide just one adequate meal for a starving child.. I think it's cheaper overall to just donate to charity. :)