Monday, June 9, 2008

Should I stay or should I go? Finally, I know!

Today I finally decided on where I will be for the rest of 2008. As originally planned a million years ago I will come home at the end of September (rather than staying on for an additional 3 to 6 months as was tentatively planned).

I am so pleased to have made a decision, which in general I am quite terrible at doing, but in the end this was an easy decision to make. In short, life here is full of adventure, wild times, and great opportunities (like meeting the PM...stay tuned), But the other side of that coin is illness, long hours and cold showers. The ups definitely make up for the downs, but only for so long. The roller coaster is a blast but you've gotta know when to get off (hopefully before you start to spew).

Truth be told, I don't know what I will do when I get back to Melbourne, but I have a bucketful of exciting ideas and three months to figure out how to pull off just one of them, so I'm not too worried yet.

I only clarified this decision this morning, and I'm already nostalgic and teary about the things and people I will miss. I'm really pleased to be able to spend the last three months here squeezing the crap out of all the goodness and then go home on a high note.

3 comments:

elbento.com said...

Sound reasoning. Leaving on good terms also increases potential for returning someday.

Maybe NGOs should focus on more short-term assignments to keep up the enthusiasm.. altho I guess not much is achieved in the short-term.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy

Anonymous said...

That's great Sar!