Thursday, November 22, 2007

I lied about the previous post being the last one about animals.

This week I'm in KL to get a new visa and have many things to post about. But there doesn't seem to be a lot of sense in sitting in a cafe writing about how great KL is while in KL. So I will just briefly mention one more animal experience I had last week in Banda Aceh and then I will go shopping (which I realised I hate. I like having stuff, but I sure don't like choosing it and I especially don't like paying for it).

So far I have shown you an elephant, baby frogs, a crusty old goat, ducks and a puppy. You're probably thinking "yeah, the elephant was pretty cool, but really I can see those other things anywhere". But can you see this everyday?!














Yes, it's a real tiger. It's in a cage but this wasn't taken at a zoo (thankfully Banda Aceh doesn't have a zoo. The current governor of Aceh was in jail until the tsunami knocked the walls of the prison down and he escaped...so imagine what would have happened at the zoo!) Actually I don't know what the place keeping the tigers is. Maybe a police station or something...I couldn't really tell.

This tiger has been caught because he didn't have the common sense to refrain from eating humans. Well tiger...HUMANS FIGHT BACK! If you want to eat 8 people in a village in southern Aceh we'll capture you and then...well, actually no one knows what to do with him.













  • He's protected so can't kill him.
  • He keeps killing humans so can't really leave him in the wild.
  • Would you be his keeper in a zoo? No, didn't think so. Can't really put him in a zoo.
Two other tigers are here at the moment too. A tiger-catching craze seems to have hit Aceh in a big way. Lots of people come and take a little look-see too.














I stupidly forgot to take photos of the ice cream stalls, the sate stalls, the fairy floss stalls and whatever other junk a kid might scream about that have been set up for the crowds visiting the tiger.

If anyone has any ideas of what to do with the tiger I can pass them on to the governor (who probably doesn't like keeping the tigers in cages because it reminds him of his past).

OK, I'm off to shop.

1 comment:

Lars said...

It is a little hard to believe that they didn't re-jail the governor after he escaped but it seems totally unbelievable that he got his post back... Surely the sentence still exists even if the jail doesn't??