Thursday, February 28, 2008

The fate of Kopi Manis

Kopi Manis's owner is back. But before I break out the champagne (not that you can buy champagne in Aceh)....

Last night he came over to see Kopi and begin the delicate handover process. You know, reintroduce puppy and owner, allow Kopi to refamiliarise herself with her owner's smell, etc.

But we didn't get around to discussing handover because it took Kopi's owner about 15 seconds to realise that his rooftop was no longer a suitable home for this very active and MUCH larger dog. So he asked if Kopi could live with us forever.

Ummm....No.

As much as I love Kopi (still only about 1/100th as much as I love say, the cake I'm eating right now), there is no way I will ever be able to tolerate her early morning barking. Or her mid-morning, mid-afternoon, mid-evening, late-night and other incidental barking. Or when she scrapes her food bowl along the cement to get attention. Or when she bites really hard. Or how she's stopped sitting when I tell her to sit.

Our housekeeper would also like Kopi to leave so she can replant the flower bed and hang out washing without Kopi tearing it off the line and making in a comfy bed for herself in the mud.

I have a secret plan for Kopi which I REALLY hope works out. I think she will be happier if it does, and it means she will be very, VERY far away from my bedroom window at 5.30am.

But in case I can't pull it off, can you guys spread the word that we have a puppy that needs a home (don't mention the barking and flower bed destruction though)? I know that the bulk of my readers are in Melbourne, and perhaps none of them are in Aceh, but you never know who is connected to who.

I was going to take a photo of Kopi to update you all on how big she's grown, but she's so excitable I can't get far enough away from her to take a photo. If nothing else I will take a photo of her biting my foot later this evening and post it here tomorrow.

Update: This is the best I could do (note the torn up box in the background. I thought she might have wanted a cosy place to sleep):

No comments: