Tuesday, April 8, 2008

It's Monday night and it's raining hard.

It's Monday night and it's raining hard. I'm writing a big report with a very tight deadline so I've set myself up at my desk and am mentally prepared for a late night. It's raining so hard the signal for the TV was disturbed. Even though I was despondent when this happened it is for the best because Monday nights mean two episodes of House. It would have been too easy to lose two valuable report writing hours. Even with my laptop on the top of my lap and the intention of working while watching I can't help focusing all my attention on dissecting the psyche of that complex and troubled Greg House.


The great thing about this rain is that I can turn my music up loud and know that my housemates can't possibly hear it over the loud rain. Bonus no.2 is that the rain drowns out my noisy and clattering air conditioner for once. I usually have to choose between oppressive heat and a clack clack clack errrrrrrr noise. Downside is that instead of taking advantage of the clatter-free air conditioning and having a gloriously uninterrupted and cool sleep I have to stay up and work. I know, I should be more appreciative of the clatter-free time to work, but can't you just imagine how good that sleep would be...


The house is flooding, but fortunately the numerous holes in the roof and drains and the leaking doors all have the decency to be attached only to the laundry/entryway to my bathroom and toilet. It makes for slipperiness on the way to the toilet, but the lack of effective seals/the expectation of water from the shower and laundry means the water will dissipate through drains and holes as soon as the rain stops.


Please enjoy these photos of my flooded house.



The laundry















The front yard














The backyard














The side of the house alley thing

















Tonight after a formal auditing process I have identified the following animals living in my house:


1. Cats


2. Mongoose (mongeese?)


3. Geckos


4. Mice (fortunately not rats)


5. Toads (unfortunately not frogs which are much more attractive)


6. Many millions of mosquitoes


7. Possibly that big spider I took a photo of, but I haven't seen him since we met by the paper towel about one month ago (by the way Yvonne, I didn't throw dirty socks at the spider. I just left him there and he was gone in the morning)


8. Stinky water in bathroom/laundry area. This is technically not an animal but it sure is a BEAST (har har).


Stinky water is common but usually reasonably inoffensive at my house. But tonight's rain either sloshed everything around the drains or (unfortunately most likely) flushed my village's sewage into my drains. Hopefully the well, and thus the water from the tap is safe from contamination.


Update: this morning the water was stinky coming out of the tap so I haven't showered and I brushed my teeth with mouthwash.

1 comment:

elbento.com said...

Gee you really know how to highlight the positives - wise choice not the bathe in the sewage.. ;)